In this COSTA RICA
This trip to Costa Rica has been created to cater to everyone that wants to obtain a radical improvement in their wildlife photography skills. We are currently the ONLY photography company in Puerto Viejo (Costa Rica) offering these trips. Do not miss this chance to come to the setting where the first two movies of Jurassic Park were filmed! It´s the second area in the world with most biodiversity AFTER the amazon for a reason...
In this trip, you will commence photographing in the jungle, inside the wildlife refuge that Rainforest Animals Rescue Group (RARG) manages in Puerto Viejo. You will master how to photograph birds, one of the hardest subjects in wildlife photography, and you will have the chance to capture the seasonal migratory birds that cross Puerto Viejo in this time of the year. Birds are the focus, but you will also be able to photograph crocodiles, insects, frogs and the iconic Costa Rican red-eyed tree frog. And remember, you are in the middle of the jungle, so you can ncounter any type of animal just by walking a few minutes.
Travel to San José (Costa Rica) and arrival to Puerto Viejo
Arrival to Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose where you'll meet Finn and Fabián from Rainforest Animal Rescue Group (RARG). Transfer to Wildlife Refuge.
Intense day! Photography near the alligator pond, wildlife ID techniques, crocodile safari, macro photography and astrophotography
What an intense and exciting day! You´ll warm up by taking photos near a pond where a caiman can normally be found (don't be scared, it's very safe). Finn and Fabian will provide an introduction to wildlife ID
Camera trapping and night safari
Finn and Fabian will
Wildlife Photography Competition in jungle refuge, Lightroom and Photoshop tuition
This is a repetition of day 8 Wildlife Photography Competition in jungle refuge,
Photography tuition by Molly Ferrill, bird photography techniques by Rafael Salvador, night safari.
Molly Ferrill will provide photography advice on documentary composition, lighting, shutter speeds, etc. Rafael will then pick up the baton and he will teach you specialized autofocusing techniques to help you photograph even the fastest birds in flight. The day will
Hide photography and birds in flight day
After an early breakfast this morning we will all go into the jungle to shoot from hides. Toucans, hummingbirds, macaws, are just a few of the subjects we can photograph. The afternoon will be spent in the fantastic ARA Project, where everyone will enjoy capturing photos of birds in flight. This can be very tricky! The macaws fly very fast, they move to places with patches of shade and light, and you'll need to learn how to use your flash properly. Leave this to us!
Seashore birds day
This day is better described with an actual list of the unique birds that you can encounter:
- Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)
- Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens)
- Herons (various sp)
- Sandpipers (various sp)
- Kingfishers (various sp)
- Stilts (various sp)
- Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
- Common Black Hawk (Buteogallus anthracinus)
- Vultures (various sp)
River birds day
We´ll Rent a boat and go in the Moin River (Limon) which is part of the Tortuguero river system, known as the
- Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga)
- Bare-throated Tiger heron (Tigrisoma mexicanus)
- Sunbittern (Eurypyga helias)
- Boat-billed Heron (Cochelearius cochlearius)
- More Herons... (various sp)
- Egrets (various sp)
- Tucans (various sp)
- Parrots (various)
- Ducks (various sp)
- Spoonbills and Ibises
- Hawks and Eagles (various sp)
- Falcons (various sp)
- Oropendela / Montezumas (Psarocolius montezuma)
- Kingfisher (various sp)
- Central American Spectacled Caiman (Caiman crocodilus fuscus)
- Green Iguana (Iguana iguana)
- Green Basilisk / Jesus Christ Lizard (Basiliscus plumifrons)
- Colubrids (various sp)
- Freshwater turtles (Various species)
- Jaguar (Panthera onca)
- Neotropical River Otter (Lutra longicaudis)
- Mantled Howler Monkey (Alouatta palliata)
- White-throated Capuccin (Cebus capucinus )
- Central American Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroy)
Migratory bird day
Birdwatching from a bird observatory tower in Kekoldi Indigenous reserve. We'll photograph birds from a hide and we'll improve our long lens and zoom lens techniques. Enjoy America's biggest raptor migration!
Several thousand vultures:
- Black Vulture
- Turkey Vulture
- King Vulture
- Common Black Hawk
- Great Black Hawk
- White Hawk
- Crane Hawk
- Tiny Hawk
- Bicolored Hawk
- Roadside Hawk
- Broad-winged Hawk
- Short-tailed Hawk
- Swainson´s Hawk
- Northern Harrier
- Semiplumbeus Hawk
- Ornate Hawk-Eagle
- Black Hawk-Eagle
- Crested Eagle
- Solitary Eagle
- Red-throated Caracara
- American Kestrel
- Bat Falcon
- Peregrine Falcon
- Laughing Falcon
- Barred Forest Falcon
- Slaty-backed Forest Falcon
- Collared Forest Falcon
Wildlife photography competition in the jungle and frog night safari
We conclude this trip with the best we have to offer: a wildlife photography competition inside our refuge! You'll roam freely inside the Costa Rican deep jungle and we´ll all work together to help you achieve amazing photos of all the wildlife that you will certainly spot walking in the rainforest or close to our refuge. We finish our adventures with a night safari, where we'll walk around the pond near the refuge to spot some of the most iconic frogs of the country, such as the
We will return to San José and we'll embark into the airplane that will bring us all back home.
ANY CAMERA. But be aware that we recommend full frame cameras for landscape and macro, and cropped sensor cameras for shooting action such as wildlife.
A telephoto zoom, such as a 70-200, 70-300, 100-400 or an 150-600.
A wide angle lens, such as a 16-35, or a general purpose lens with wide angle capabilities, such as a 24-105 or a 24-70.
A macro lens or a diopter such as a Canon 250D to use with a telephoto zoom
A circular polarizer that fits your wide angle lens
Graduated neutral density filters or your preferred filters.
An E-TTL/i-TTL Flash
A sync cord for your flash. An extra flash might be useful for macro and/or if the first flash stops working.
A cable release for long exposures
A flash diffuser such as a softbox, and a Better Beamer
Flash bracket to hold your flash off-camera
Rain protection for all your camera gear and for yourself (rain covers)
Silica gel bags
A smaller camera bag
Lens cleaning tools, (be careful and bring your sensor cleaned before arriving to each destination).
Meals: Up to three meals per day are included in the price for this module.
THIS ITINERARY INCLUDES
• Accommodation as specified
• Meals as specified
• Transportation as specified w/private driver in shuttle
• Professional, full-time photo instruction from lead photographers Molly Ferrill and Rafael Salvador and additional assistance from Tom Stables and Alex Laberge.
• Entrances and fees for all described activities
• Up to 6 head lamps for the first 6 people that book a module/s
• Taxes for all specified services
THIS ITINERARY DOES NOT INCLUDE
• Airplane tickets
• Airport departure tax (£24, may be included in the price of your plane ticket. Check your airline)
• Beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic
• Non-mealtime snacks
• Room supplements for other people
• Return transport from Puerto Viejo to San José airport (can be provided upon request, once in Puerto Viejo)